Due to COVID-19, our summer plans have changed a bit—but that’s an average day for the PR girl. Normal or not, our summer essentials always manage to stay the same as the temperatures rise (it’s definitely hot in Colorado). Here are a few things we can’t survive the next three months without.
Ere PerezCacao Lip Color in Play ($26) “Though you might not be able to see it under my mask, I’m very into lipstick this season. My quest for the perfect formula and the ultimate shade of pink grapefruit (AKA: coral with a touch of pink) ended when I discovered this line. You know those lipsticks that dry out your lips? This isn’t one of them. The opaque yet slightly sheer formula means the color payoff is pretty much perfect—and it lasts, too. ” – Allyson
Live Awakepodcast “I’m a huge fangirl of Sarah Blondin—like I love absolutely everything she does. I already infuse her guided meditations once a week into my daily practice (I have to restrain myself as they’re such a treat that I could do them everyday!). But sometimes I need more than my 20 minutes in the morning. Whether listening in the tub, while I’m getting ready for the day, in the car on my way to the office, or as I fall asleep— anytime I need stillness or space, her voice helps guide the way.” – Allyson
Blue SkyWeekly & Monthly Planner ($15) “Ever since I was in high school, I’ve been a loyal Blue Sky fan. Even though I’m no longer in school, I still use it to plan out my errands, hangouts with friends, and work days. I would honestly be lost without it!” – Alexis
Homesick Candlein Long Island ($30) “Before I headed West to Fort Collins, one of my friends gave me a Homesick Candle. Mine is Long Island (obviously), but they have scents for so many different places in the U.S and around the world! It smells amazing, makes a beautiful decoration for my dresser, and always reminds me of home.” – Alexis
Living ProofPHD Conditioner ($28) “I know we all have been struggling with the realities of quarantine hair. My hair is too long, too thick, too everything. The only product I’ve found that keeps it soft and manageable is Living Proof’s PHD conditioner. I really can pair it with any shampoo, but the conditioner does the work for me. It’s amazing beachy scent is perfect for summer. ” – Noelle
aN-hydraPower of Youth Microbiome Mask ($66) “This cleanser is actual magic and it can also function as a mask. It’s powder-based, so once you add water it has this great exfoliating texture. The best part? I’ve been able to see a noticeable difference in my skin. I swear my age spots are disappearing! Plus, the brand was started by a brilliant woman, Susanne Langmuir and they’ve got a great refill program. Each glass bottle lasts 3+ months which has been a godsend during these crazy times.” – Noelle
Leaf PeopleLuminous Face Scrub($30) “Here’s the thing. Allyson has been telling me about this magical exfoliator since last year— and she was so right. I have sensitive skin, and the texture is so unique and spongey that it helps slough of the dead skin without damaging my face. Did I mention that it smells heavenly?” – Courtney
Adidas Ultraboost 20 Shoes ($180) “There are few things in life I truly splurge on and these shoes are one of them. I haven’t had them for long but let me tell you, they’re worth it. I’m a runner, a biker, and an avid gym goer and these are my saving grace. They can take some serious mileage while giving me the very necessary support only a girl’s favorite shoe can.” – Courtney
What are some products you’re using the summer? Share with us in the comments!
1. These are crazy times for us all right now, and while I’ve been (not so well most of the time) balancing between mama, interior designer, referee to my two boys, homeschool teacher, wife, and chef (phew!), Instacart has been my lifesaver! I haven’t had to go to a grocery store in months, and my local Instacart shoppers have been so sweet and pleasant. It has kept our fridge stocked and our bellies full while I have been trying new recipes during quarantine.
2. I’ve been super into installing gorgeous wallpapers in my clients’ homes! Each one leaves me inspired and wishing I had 100 more houses to decorate in endless amounts of wallpaper. Our favorites are Schumacher and Kravet—I can’t get enough of the patterns, colors, and how the papers instantly elevate a room (especially an often-seen powder room)!
3. I’ve been loving deep, moody paint colors for my clients who are still scarred by the maroon, hunter green, and navy blue wallpapers of the 80’s. My favorite colors right now are dark teals, grey, and preppy blues because they leave such an impact—even if it’s only one room in their home!
4. Displaying collections—both for myself and my clients. Hanging plates are my favorite! I love mixing antique china into a “new” room for a little touch of history.
5. Right now, I’m all about modern art hung over an antique chest. It’s my fave way to bridge the old and new!
6. On the days that my assistant and I get out for an appointment or two, we LOVE Zoe’s Kitchen for a fast and fresh lunch! I am currently loving their new lentil salad with salmon, yum!
7. While my little one naps, my oldest and I love to bake during “our” time. We’ve been loving this recipe from Rachel Parcell! I keep the dough in my fridge and cook a few cookies at a time— there’s truly nothing better than a warm cookie at night!
8. In an attempt to keep the extra covid-19 lbs away (ha!), my husband and I have recently subscribed to Veestro, a vegan meal delivery service. We really try to eat healthy most of the time, but it makes those warm cookies afterward that much better.
9. Our friends over at Neat Method Atlanta leave us both inspired and wishing we could have them visit every day! Over quarantine, I have cleaned out a ton of our cabinets and drawers, and I always look to them for how to style my stuff!
10. I recently discovered this white T-shirt on Amazon, and it’s amazing! Thin but not see-through, fitted but not tight, long but not too drape-y.
Maggie Griffin is the Founder and Lead Designer of Maggie Griffin Design, a Gainesville, Georgia based interior design studio. We’ve been fans of Maggie’s for ages, so imagine how thrilled we were when we snagged her as a client last summer! Maybe it’s her knack for bringing to life spaces that are everything our dreams are made of — traditional but contemporary, layered, and full of all the super special details that create instant home envy (who knew we needed a Butler’s Pantry so desperately?). Or maybe it’s because we consider her Southern Hospitality in a human body (she’s one of the kindest people we know). Or maybe it’s her love for chinoiserie (this was just the icing on the cake for Allyson). Whatever it is, we can’t get enough of her. She inspires us to live life beautifully.
We’re hiring for a Publicist! Are you an established communicator with 3-5 years of PR experience under your belt? If so, listen up, as this one’s for you!
The Publicist role is a full time, salaried position that starts at $50K with benefits including: paid time off, paid company holidays, holiday bonus, new business bonus, 50% health, dental, and vision insurance, mobile phone stipend, fitness stipend, annual enrichment trip and/or conference, regular team building activities, and employee meals.
Applicants must have a bachelor’s degree in journalism, communication, or another relevant area with three to five years of post-graduated public relations experience, either at an agency or in-house. Ideal candidates will have experience with direct to consumer lifestyle brands, a sturdy rolodex of media relationships, and an impressive track record of press hits.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Administrative: • Support Founder with day-to-day requests • Achieve monthly objectives set by Founder • Update and maintain all company lists: media tracking, press coverage, monthly pitches, monthly focuses, etc. • Contribute to the ACPR Blog • Other writing projects as assigned • Manage the creation of monthly status reports • Work with Founder to grow company exposure • Identify new business opportunities
Management: • Set weekly focuses for team • Develop monthly pitch angles • Review and approve pitches, email blasts, and outlets • Direct Rapid Response monthly flow • Provide monthly performance recaps and manage extra initiatives • Train new team members • Mentor team members • Lead Friday team meetings
Client Relations: • Develop strong relationships with clients • Act as point-of-contact for clients • Facilitate phone and email interviews with clients • Participate in annual and quarterly strategy calls with Founder • Attend in-person meetings with clients
Media Relations: • Develop strong relationships with media • Create PR Plans • Identify, pitch, and follow up with media • Create and distribute high impact and creative media email blasts • Rapid Response daily pitching • Identify and pitch feature story opportunities • Secure press hits: long lead, short lead, broadcast, and awards • Write press materials: fact sheets, bios, press releases, media alerts, pitch letters, etc. • Identify other client exposure opportunities: sponsored posts, gifting, trade shows, and events • Secure brand partnerships • Execute media visits and desksides • Oversee the planning of press previews and media events • Execute press previews and media events • Attend in-person meetings with media
Basic job requirements: • Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, or a related area • 3-5 years of post-graduate public relations experience, either in an agency or in-house setting • Solid media relationships in the national beauty, home, and/or lifestyle categories • Impressive book of earned media placements • Excellent communicator—verbal, written, and beyond—with a strong understanding of both the AP and creative writing styles • Strategic thinker with endless amounts of creativity • Self-starter and multi-tasking master who’s highly organized, has the initiative to start and maintain projects, and is willing to go above and beyond the job description • Highly coachable, thrives on feedback, and subscribes to the “fail forward” mentality • Pop culture junkie and knows what’s hot in the press and to consumers • Passionate about the beauty, home, and lifestyle categories • Champion for indie brands • Proficient in Microsoft Office programs, Cision, InDesign, Canva, WordPress, and social media
All qualified candidates should send their resume and a short statement explaining why they want to work at ACPR to: firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please. Relocation assistance will be considered.