We’re always looking for ways to step up our game. So when we heard our favorite storewas hosting one of our favorite thought leaders, obviously we had to go. Earlier this week we had a blast attending Jacki Carr‘s goalSPEAK Launch and Learn Party at HEYDAY in Denver. It’s safe to say we learned a ton. Jacki shared her insights for how to improve public speaking skills, connect with people on a deeper level, and share your goals out loud to accomplish them. And in the spirit of collaboration, we’re sharing some of our key takeaways with you!
Caitlin’s Takeaway There were so many things Jacki Carr said that I loved, but one that stuck out was to “invite people to your goal.” Especially with loftier goals and dreams, I think we’re often afraid to share them with others out of fear and embarrassment that they won’t actually happen. But by taking that leap of faith, we can allow ourselves to get excited about the prospect and allow others to offer support and encouragement. If we don’t share it, it might never happen! And that’s a lose-lose for everyone.
Sarah’s Takeaway We had an amazing night with Jacki Carr at the one and only HEYDAY! She imparted several skills that left me thinking, but the one thing that stuck out in particular was her grounding technique. Before communicating with others, ground yourself: take a deep breath, plant your body, and connect through eye contact before saying anything. Jacki referred to a time when she would enter any situation in life like a “wrecking ball,” filling empty spaces of silence with non-sense. I can be guilty of this, so it was eye-opening to watch Jacki walk through her process. Even as I sat to write this takeaway, I planted my feet, took a deep breath, and connected. I am excited for this journey!
Elizabeth’s Takeaway I’m so grateful for this experience! Public speaking has always been a skill that I’ve struggled with, and Jacki provided insights that I look forward to using both in my career and in my personal life. Her statement, “Honor your voice,” stood out to me the most. She discussed how in any situation, the concept of “I belong,” is a powerful thought that fuels our interactions with others. We all have past experiences that impact the way we speak, and in order to confidently connect with others, we must unravel old beliefs of not belonging. When we understand that both our voice and presence in any environment have significance, we can communicate effectively to share our unique perspectives.
Courtney’s Takeaway The goalSPEAK launch with Jacki Carr was amazing from beginning to end, but one thing I carried with me afterwards was the conversation about perfection. There’s a fear we all hold in our hearts of judgement and imperfection which often stops us from speaking our goals or sharing our thoughts. But Jacki pointed out that you have to “Allow yourself to be human, otherwise you won’t ever connect with other humans.” If we can find the beauty in our imperfections as humans, then that fear falls away. Jacki pointed out that people thrive on human-to-human connections, and that stems from sharing those thoughts and learning from each other. So be human and speak your goals out loud, because people want to know them!
As the newbie on the block here at ACPR, I’ve learned a lot about how to be successful at your first big girl job. There have been plenty of failures and a few successes as I start to get the hang of things, but the best part is reflecting on how much I’ve grown since walking into the office that first day. So, whether you’re like me and just got your first job, you’re switching careers, or you’re looking for an internship that could launch your career, learn from my experience and set yourself up for success from day one!
1. Show up early I like to get to work 15-20 minutes early to set myself up for the day. Transitions are so important, especially when setting work-life boundaries. If I get to work early, I have time to make a cup of tea (Earl Grey, of course), plan out the day in my Day Designer, and set intentions for work flow. Those extra few minutes are crucial to setting the pace for a focused and productive day.
2. Ask questions This one is always tough for me. It’s good to take initiative and be resourceful, but it isn’t productive to waste time waiting for the answer. If there’s something you don’t know, ask! Put in the work to solve the problem (this is where the resourceful part comes in), but don’t waste an hour on something that should take 15 minutes. Work smarter, not harder!
3. Set boundaries The hardest part about having a big girl job is learning how to create a healthy work-life balance. Those boundaries don’t just appear. You have to be intentional about when it’s time to put the work down and say ‘yes’ to coffee with a gal pal. I really love my job, and it’s so easy to take work home. But sometimes I have to remind myself that it’s okay to disconnect from the office! *Hint* Allyson just wrote a post on this!
4. Get to know your coworkers You’ve just been introduced to a whole new group of people who love to do what you do. Get to know them! Say yes to an after-work cup of Chai (Sarah’s fave), share your thoughts on the latest Netflix binge, or give tips on your go-to lipstick brand. The people in your office want to get to know you too. It can be scary to put yourself out there, but you might just make some life-long friends!
Courtney Miranda is ACPR’s new Public Relations Assistant and country gal. With her Montana roots, a little bit of twang was bound to sneak into her playlist. She loves the classics like Johnny Cash and George Strait, but will never say no to some T-Swift throwbacks.
You can always tell a lot about a woman by what’s in her purse. And because we’re always hustling to GSD, PR girls have to be ready for anything. Balancing a career and a personal life (we think that’s called work/life balance?) doesn’t always go as planned, so having what we need at our fingertips at any given time is critical!
In honor of National Handbag Day, which is today, we’re spilling the beans (literally) on what’s in our handbags.
1. Sara Happ The Lip Slip: This balm is legit. I got hooked on it a few years ago, and I won’t trust anything else on my lips. I’d choose it over a lipstick any ol’ day! The night version lives in my nightstand, and I swear it’s the only thing that keeps my lips hydrated all night long. Like wakeup-and-still-feel-it-on-my-lips legit.
2. BKR: One of my life rules? Always stay hydrated! Yes, I’m one of those people that tracks their daily water intake. That’s why I typically won’t go anywhere without it. I consider myself a novice collector (ask Caitlin), but my favorite is definitely the Big 1L in ACPR’s nude, Naked. It’s like they created this hue just for us.
3. Valley Eyewear: Sunglasses are one of my favorite ways to accessorize, and the DBs are my most recent pair. They’re a little bit badass and a little bit girlboss.
4. Various crystals: Jade for luck and success. Yellow citrine for positivity. Smokey quartz for protection against bad energy. Amethyst for relieving stress. Pyrite for wealth and good luck. That’s all.
5. iPhone (with custom Eat Sleep Pitch Repeat Pop Socket) and headset: I’m on the go most days, and I have my iPhone to thank for keeping me responsive, organized, and, let’s be honest, sane. It’s like my portable desk. But don’t misunderstand: it goes on Do Not Disturb every day from 7pm-7am.
1. TOMSSunglasses: Squinting is one of my top pet peeves, so I never go anywhere without sunglasses! I recently bought this pair at one of my favorite boutiques in Estes Park during our company retreat.
2. EyeDrops: I have perpetually dry eyes, so these are a must for long days of sending pitches, writing press releases, and connecting with influencers on Instagram.
3. Glossier Balm Dotcom: I also have very chapped lips (shocker!) and this is the only thing that works for me. I apply it before I go to bed, when I wake up in the morning, and throughout the day—dry lips are not a good look!
4. Kate Spade Business Card Holder: You never know who you’ll run into, and I always like to be prepared. This cute business card holder from Kate Spade fits in any handbag and is so handy for events and deskside trips.
5. Collapsible Metal Straw: It’s not easy being green, but this collapsible metal straw helps. It’s great for drinking water at the office, eating out at lunch, and even happy hour.
1. AirPods: My AirPods are permanently in my ears most days with work calls or music to keep me going! I take a 40 minute walk over my lunch break to reenergize and have clarity for the rest of the day, and my AirPods are a MUST!
2. Compact Mirror: This mirror was a gift from my parents after a trip to Paris. It is not only used to make sure I don’t have lipstick on my teeth before meeting a potential client, but serves as a reminder that small, thoughtful gifts are really what this life is all about!
3. Urban Decay Sheer Rapture Lipstick: Yes, I have talked about this lippie before, as it is my go-to! I don’t go anywhere without lipstick on. It completes me!
4. Kirkland Organic Apple Sauce: Snacks on hand are a must for this working mama! I always carry something extra for after school pick-up duty, and well, I would be lying if I said I haven’t had an emergency snack attack during a late afternoon at work.
5. Teletie: Remember that walk I go on? I love being able to throw my hair up with my Teletieand having no crease when I put my hair back down at the office.
1. Peanut Butter Chocolate RXBAR: I am a snack queen. When I get in the zone at work, I need something quick and easy to re-fuel! RXBARS are filling and not too sweet!
2. Ginger June Candle Co. Gardenia Honeysuckle Roll-On Perfume: Gardenia is my go-to scent! I was on a hunt for the perfect oil-based perfume for so long, and this one lasts forever. I found it at HEYDAY (one of ACPR’s favorite spots for a mid-day shopping break)!
3. ban.do Notebook: I recently discovered that I’m a big fan of using bullet journaling as an organization tool! I keep a notebook in my purse at all times so I can have all of my thoughts, to-do’s, etc. all in one place!
4. Hair Clip: I love having the ability to toss my hair up or leave it down on a whim. This clip is gentle and doesn’t leave any marks!
5. Bluebird Botanicals Hemp Extract Capsules: I’m a big believer that any career girl can benefit from the healing properties of hemp. These full-spectrum supplements are perfect for calming the senses and keeping me on my game!
1. Fossil Glasses: I wear these literally everyday! Whether I’m scrolling through IG, reading the latest on facial serums, or catching up on emails, these keep my eyes safe from screen time (plus they’re super cute).
2. Black Obsidian Stone: A close friend gave me this stone and I haven’t left the house without it since! Black Obsidian is a both a protection stone and powerful cleanser of psychic smog within your aura. Positive energy is everything for my work flow, and this stone keeps the negativity at bay.
3. Nail File: When I say I take a nail file everywhere I really mean it. I have one in my car, one in my purse, one in my desk, and at least three at home. Chipped nails are my top pet peeve and I cannot rest until my nails are filed to perfection.
4. Day Designer Planner: Let me tell you, Day Designer is the new G-Cal. I find that physically writing out my day keeps me focused and productive, in fact I use my planner more than the countless organization apps on my phone. Which means where I go, Day Designer comes too— I’m currently shopping for bigger purses just to accommodate.
5. Pilot G-2 07 Pen: You never know when the perfect pitch might pop into your head, so I always come prepared. You know that perfect pen feeling? That’s this one; it writes smooth, it doesn’t smear, and somehow my handwriting is better.
Now it’s your turn to spill the beans! What’s in your handbag? Share with us in the comments.